Pages

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Realizing My Empty Nest is Not Empty At All

Image result for empty nest 
So, it’s been just over a year since my nest emptied. And yet I find myself still struggling with the notion that I’m not ‘Mom’ everyday.

I miss the little things.
                - I miss getting up in the morning to make her breakfast and lunch for school.
      - I miss planning our family fun activity for the weekend.
      - I miss tucking her in at night – just knowing she’s in the next room sleeping soundly.
      - I miss thinking about the next life lesson I should share with her.
      - I miss decorating the house with the next holiday garb.
      - I miss making her favorite dinner – or surprising her with a new dish.
      - I miss taking walks in our neighborhood.
      - I miss the structure – so that life didn’t get so hectic that we couldn’t enjoy it.
      - I miss her hugs.

Though, today I think I’ve come to figure out how not to struggle.

And the answer is being mindful...in the present.

As of today, I have everything I’ve been wanting in my life – and more.
                   - I have the most wonderful and loving man.
                   - I have the love of extended family.
         - I have great friends – old and new.
         - I have a good job.
         - I have my Buddy dog.
         - I live in the most beautiful surroundings.
         - I travel.
         - I laugh.
         - I love.

And more...I have all I want and need. Food on the table, a home, my health...and so does she.

I’ve had so many incredible experiences this year…all while my nest was empty. So I need to continue living for those experiences. New ones. And also exploring my new relationship with my daughter.

And the only way to do that is to not live in the past. Mourn it. Yearn for it. Be sad over this change in my life.

Besides, my girl lives just a couple hours away from home. And she’s been coming home more often. And when she does, I get to hug her.

So, I will live in the now. This beautiful, wonderful, exciting, full of love NOW. And I will be ever grateful for it. The life I have now is everything I had hoped, and yearned, and prayed for…my dream came true right before my very eyes.

I will wake up each morning, with gratitude and joy for all I have – right now. Laying right beside me.

And know that she’ll be home to visit soon…And I’ll get to hug her again.

I’m the luckiest girl in the world. 
In this moment. 
Right now. 

And I am ever grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment